Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wes Farris intro


My name is Wes Farris. Strategic Management is the last class that I will be taking at UHCL, and I will be graduating in August with a Finance degree
I work for a hedge fund trading electricity derivatives (swaps/swaptions) in the PJM interconnect, which covers 13 states in the northeastern United States. To say work is stressful is an understatement. Electricity is the only commodity that cannot be stored, and must be consumed at the same time that it is produced. This makes for some very interesting times, and prices can literally move several hundred percent in just seconds. I’ve been trading electricity for 5 years, and have had several roles at my current company (HR/admin/billing functions), but trading is currently my sole responsibility.
This is  one of the few classes I’m actually looking forward to, because the course seems to be focused on analyzing businesses, which is something I enjoy, and find myself doing in my free time.

No comments:

Post a Comment