Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Intro - Russell - Financial Glassblower

Hello

Im Russell Medley.  Im taking 3 classes (auditing, this class, Advance acct) to graduate this semester with a dual major in Acccounting and Finance.  I plan on working in the finance field and am already on my way.  I have recently aqquired my Tx General Lines license that allows me to sell life insurance and well as other insurance (not auto or house).  I will be getting either my Series 6 and 66, or my Series 7 and 63 very soon, I dont know which one because it depends on what job I decide on.  My passion is Glass blowing and I have had a home based glassblowing business for the last 3 years and have been doing glass for a little over 4 years.  Glass takes me all over the US and has allowed me to meet a ton of awesome people.  Although Id love to be able to do glass and glass alone for the rest of my life, it doesnt pay what Id like to earn.  I do plan on continueing my glass but on a more personal basis (custom pieces for individuals rather than large bulk orders to shops). I also work at a Gas grill/Propane place in pearland and have for almost 10 years now (off n on while in school).

I live in pearland, right by the Highschool on pearland parkway.  I fish, explore, cayak, canoe, swim, surf, snowboard, skateboard, longboard, take my dog Decter exploring, play disk golf, and love working on cars/engines/ or anything else with lots of parts. I travel any chance I get and love to go to a new place and really emerse myself in the culture and learn what its like to be a local.

I graduated from friendswood highschool in 2005 and went to San Jacinto for a semester since I missed the deadline at UH main.  Attended UH for about 3 years going for a BS in Mechanical Engineering.  While job shadowing for engineering I realized it was not what I wanted to do with my career so I decided to go to UHCL andgo for business instead.  I had planned on graduating last december (2011) but was talked into adding accounting as a second major by a friend of mine.   Thats where I am now.

Anything else....just ask.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Russell,

    I graduated from Friendswood H.S. as well but class of 2004. I changed my majors from Marketing to CIS to Finance, and its taken me longer to graduate as well.

    Anyways, good luck with the rest of your summer courses !

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA that's cool! I think I remember seeing ya in the halls but its hard to tell from your small picture. You may remember my sister Amanda, she was CO 03 or 04. Yea in school a while but Id rather chug on and get to the end then quit and PHEW we're close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Russel, thanks for the intro. I think glassblowing is fascinating, do you have a link to a website or gallery? How did you get into a hobby like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike I just now saw ur comment. I do have Moltenworx.com but the site is junk right now, dont put much effort into it since 99% of my business is by referral anyway.

    I got into glassblowing because I have always loved playing with fire, loved playing with marbles as a kit and got older and combined the two. Joining 2 pieces of material together has fascinated me. I started out doing some MIG welding, then some gas welding, then glass blowing. If you really want to see some work or want something made the best thing to do is email me. Moltenworx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete