Monday, June 18, 2012

Dynamic Strategy-Current Events

Most of us go to college after graduating high school or we get tired of working for low paying jobs so we try to better ourselves by getting an education hoping in turn it will open more doors with more pay. According to Catherine Rampell “A large majority — 73 percent — think they need more education to find a successful career, but only half of those say they will definitely enroll in the next few years.” www.nytimes.com/education. If this is the case why do so many find it difficult to go to college. There are many factors involved that could make this decision. One would be rising tuition cost or can I afford not to be employed. When thinking about going to college we have to utilize real option valuation by making decisions with questions just as financial analysts do when taking risks to make investments. What is the benefit of going to college or what is the benefit of being part of the workforce.

In recent years there has been an outcry from many including myself over the rising cost of tuition for post-secondary school. Currently there is lots of debate if it is even worth going to college anymore. Some argue that young adults can’t go to college because of cost “The average tuition at a four-year public university climbed 15 percent between 2008 and 2010, fueled by state budget cuts for higher education” Associated Press http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/12. On the other hand if you don’t go to college what kind of income are you going to be able to make. Susan M. Dynarski and Sarah Turner, contributors @CNNMoney argue that the benefits of getting a college education is still worth it and that studies have shown higher education brings higher income. “College graduates earn more than other workers. They are more likely to have health insurance and pensions.”

Prior to enrolling in college these were some of the challenges I faced when making a decision about going back to school. I really couldn’t afford not to work with having three children but I was at a point in my life where I was tired of working paycheck to paycheck. I had to decide and think of my real options even if it was taking a chance. This is my last semester at UHCL and I have no regrets of choosing to go to school over working my full time job. I would agree that rising tuition costs makes it much harder to go to school but I believe even with those rising costs it is still worth it. Even though Texas has a 6.9 % unemployment rate, the bottom line is that chances of getting a job with a degree is a lot higher than those without.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this article Sarah. I too was working full-time when I made the decision to come back to school. Although I don't have any children, it was still very difficult for me to save any money, since I wasn't making much of it to begin with. However, after having a conversation with a close friend who had recently graduated, I decided to come back to school. I was in the process of taking a 2nd job, and was still standing to make nearly 20% less than he was, working nearly double the hours. Another perk (which I think is huge in Texas) is that most jobs that require a degree are inside jobs. I've always worked a manual labor job, and am really looking forward to being able to work indoors, where I don't have to come home every day exhausted from the heat and physically drained of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I struggle with finding the right balance between work, school, and family. The responsibilities that come from being an adult are defiantly increased with children. Besides being in a better position to provide for them financially, you will be a good role-model for their success in education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I can say that you are right when choosing not to work full time job in order to go to school. Congratulation! You will be compensated for the hard time you have spent. Earning a degree while working part time is not easy at all, especially when you have children. For me, a college degree is not only a higher income you can make, though it is very important. It would lead you to a better life. For example, it would be better if, with your degree, you work in an office than in a restaurant. Beside benefits such as health insurance and pensions, you may have vacation, you have chances to work with educated people which may help you with better insight. After all, you may enjoy your life with a better way a worker may do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this article. I myself have chosen to go to college so that I would not have the same job in early twenties as when I am in my late fifties, unfortunately like my father. He never went to college; as a result he is still working almost the same job as he was in his 20's. That was my motivation in going back to school. Now with only one class away from the degree, I already a have a career lined up, and I am not worried about my future financially. I would have to thank my college education for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara,
    Thanks for posting this article. I think it reaches to a lot of people including myself. I have worked for this degree for quite some time, and only recently I have decided to really put all my efforts in and get it over with. I also had to make the decision to keep my full time job because there would be no other way I could pay for tuition and leaving expenses. I have to say that it has been more stressful trying to finish a degree now than in my early 20's, where I wish I would have know what I know now, but that's life and I am glad I got the experience of going to college not only for financial security but to be able to comprehend conversations or published works etc. Also, to have the ability to adapt to new information and have a well rounded knowledge base to work with in different areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara,
    I can relate to this article. Before enrolling in school, I debated with myself over attending school or not. I was concerned not only with school expenses, but also with gas prices. I do not live close to campus and that was a factor in my decision. I am glad you posted this article because I can see how the other group members were in the same situation as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting article especially since most of us can relate to it.
    The decision to go to college is a very important because not only does it require dedication and hard work but also because it can be very costly. I completely agree with you Sara, I also feel that higher education is worth it even with the rising cost. College education increases the chances of higher income and also provides benefits of building strong connections, greater knowledge, and personal satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara,

    This is a great article since so many can relate to this exact situation. I agree with your decision to go back to college even if tuition has become higher over the years. When an individual has a college degree the payoff is so much greater for yourself and for your family. From high wages to better benefits, having a college degree is just so much more ideal for people to have now. I am in in my early twenties and made sure to make getting through college my number one priority before anything else.

    ReplyDelete