Sunday, June 10, 2012

Introductory post for Heather Kulhanek


My name is Heather Kulhanek.  I am a full time student working on my last semester here at UHCL.  I will have completed my bachelor’s degree in accounting by the end of this summer semester. I intend on continuing my education towards my MBA at the University of Nebraska – Kearney.  I am also a US Navy Veteran.  I served for four and a half years on active duty and three years in the active reserves.  While in the Navy my job was closely related to accounting, but the numbers that I had to crunch where time related instead of money.   I chose accounting because I loved to crunch the numbers, and I found it exciting when I had to “solve the puzzle” if they numbers did not balance. 

I am also a mother of two children.  My daughter is five and my son is four.  They are the reason that my husband and I have decided to move to Nebraska.  They are all already living there, waiting for me to finish my degree.  We packed during finals week this past spring and moved during the three week break.  I have tried to fill up my days with school and work to make this time fly as much as possible. 

I have been doing some data entry and book keeping for the daycare that my kids used to attend, and I will also be working as a student worker here on campus. I have two other face to face classes during this first five weeks, but only one other class during the second five weeks.  I have been fairly successful at juggling 5 classes, a job, a family, and lots of student activities in the past semesters.  I still worry about getting everything done though.  You never know just how much time any one class might take. 

I have enjoyed most of my classes so far and I am excited to see why this is the capstone course.  It is slightly intimidating to need all of the business classes as prerequisites, and so I hope I have retained enough to pull me through.  I like this blog idea so far.  I look forward to getting to know everyone’s personalities.  You really do not get the opportunity to hear other people’s opinions in a face to face class. Most people are more reserved than I am. 

Finally, I hate to admit it, but I need the push from this class to force me to read up on current events.  As much as I like to use the skills that I have learned to critically analyze the economy and the events worldwide, I do not make time unless I am required to do so.  I look forward to the continuing growth of my professional critical thinking and analytical skills.

Best of luck to us all!

Heather Kulhanek


1 comment:

  1. Hey Heather, glad to actually have a class with you! I hope the move went smoothly. Have fun in Nebraska!

    ReplyDelete