Friday, June 1, 2012

Welcome to the Strategy Seminar Blog

This is the first, of what should be many, posts.  The Strategy Seminar Blog is a new idea I will be piloting in the Summer, 2012 session.  In past semesters, I have gradually increased my networking efforts with my former students.  At this time, this includes a rather large network in LinkeIn, but I have been searching for a way to keep current and past students informed on what's happening in the world of strategy.

Additionally, I am interesting in finding ways to incorporate new media into the classroom.  In the past, it was common for business students to regularly read Harvard Business Review, the Wall Street Journal, the Economist, the Financial Times or BusinessWeek as part of a strategy course.  These publications remain some of the best repositories of current business knowledge.  However, the blogosphere is emerging as a very powerful source of contemporary information.  I want to introduce my students to this new media and encourage their initial forays into it.

The Strategy Seminar Blog will accomplish this.  Here in this blog, current students will post their reviews and perspectives on various readings they complete during their strategy seminar.  Each semester, student bloggers will post:

1.  A review of an academic article
2.  A review of a practitioner article
3.  A synopsis of a current event playing out in strategy

All of these will be sorted, topically, and categorized using the links at the top of this blog.  Everything is a bit bare-bones right now, but we will be getting moving very quickly over the next few weeks.

For past students and other readers, please recognize that these are the works and opinions of students in their final semester of coursework.  I will be using this blog in both my undergraduate and graduate strategy courses, so there will be Bachelor and Master seeking students posting.  The thoughts and opinions they express are theirs alone, be kind in your comments.

Comments to these blog posts are open to the general public as well as to the current students.  I will keep an eye on comments and will moderate if needed.  Please keep things civil and cordial.  Disagreement is an important part of discourse, vulgarity is not.

It's an exciting new project and I hope the students and readers find it as intriguing as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment