Sunday, July 8, 2012

Growing the firm- Practitioner Article- Crystal Faught

“Tweet Me, Friend Me, Make Me Buy” is an article addressing the importance of social networking in sales positions but even furthermore the information could be applied to almost all industries. After successful use of twitter by a PGi sales representative, a once hesitant CEO became a customer of the virtual meetings company, PGi. In this article the reader can see that many companies are not utilizing this tool to further grow their company. The author Barbara Giamonco & Kent Gregoire show the best way to develop as a sales rep through social networking & how to manage these activities.

It is almost impossible to not be involved or affected by social networking in this generation. In this article I learned the statistics of social networking and now know that 14% of the world has a facebook; this statistic alone is mind boggling for me.  Having this information one would think that CEO’s would be jumping at the opportunity to utilize this tool to expose their products. However, as mentioned in the article this is not the case and most managers are aware of their lack of use of social networks.  A huge reason why social networking is an asset is because of the ease of “managing relationships.” An important decision to make when choosing to approach potential clients is whether or not they are worth pursuing.  


After a company decides to approach customers using social networking it is important that they take the proper steps to ensure that it will be a positive step for the company as a whole. As with all sales approaches there are potential downfalls. If an employee does not represent professionalism on their personal social networking site this could fall back on the company and ruin their reputation. Therefore, it would be necessary for companies to establish expectations for social networking when on the job.  The proper training and management of these activities should eliminate most of these negative possibilities.
Overall, this article was very helpful in determining professionalism while utilizing social networking. This article is extremely relevant for our generation and using this tool to grow your company will be a necessary competitive edge to have.

4 comments:

  1. This exeplifies the I want it now attitude. People want faster communication and interaction, and they want it in a familiar form of communication. Ignoring this social trend would be detrimental to growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly sralphuhcl, I do this all the time. If I choosing to buy between two companies I tend to "test" them on their ability to supply what I want and when I want it. Usually whoever can respond the quickest will receive my business. Sometimes I don't even realize I do it but I have just come accustomed to our generations "I want it now" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely guilty of doing the same thing. No patience! I had my vehicle worked on and the people who could handle it on my schedule got the work. I want it and I want it when it is convenient for me.

      Delete
  3. This is such an important topic for businesses today. If you plan to be successful, then you have to market to the people in a way that will reach them. Old school mailings and cold calls are just not as effective today with the constant use of social media by most consumers.

    ReplyDelete