Sunday, July 8, 2012

Dynamic Strategy-Academic Theory Based on Managerial Imperfections


Theory based on Managerial Behaviors
Dynamic Strategy- Academic Article


The following article Employees’ Reactions to Imperfect Managerial Behaviors by Helge Hernes Ph.D and Linn Kristin Braenden talks about hypothesis testing using the attribution theory. The article is an important topic because in business there is always that key question of how do we make our organization become more efficient and effective, but before we can look at the organization as a whole we need to break it down into smaller pieces. The most important asset of the company is the employees and managers who uphold the daily production to keep the company running. In some types of businesses the employees and managers are the core to organization successes or failures, such failures which can lead to severe consequences so instead of focusing on the failures, the article focuses on imperfections that could initially bring penalties over time that could have greater consequences than failures by asking two questions.

1. “How do employees react to their managers’ imperfect behaviors?”
2. “How are employees’ reactions to managers’ imperfect behaviors explained by the employee attributions of these behaviors?

Helge Hernes Ph.D and Linn Kristin Braenden conducted their research with a small sample size of only 12 people. The participants in the research were ask questions about situations where they might have experienced imperfect managerial behaviors. Each of their cases was stated in the article and most cases prove to fall under the attribution model. This model focuses on internal and external Locus of control, Stability, and Controllability. Motivating and Rejecting is based on Anger while Training and Compensating are based on Empathy (LePine & van Dyne, 2001:73-74)

Table 1 - LePine and van Dyne’s attributional model for coworkers’ low performance and helping behaviorshttp://search.ebscohost.com/logi



In the case studies there were several examples of how managers did not have the appropriate reactions to the situation making it difficult for the employee to be productive. The downfalls of some managers can cause severe reactions from employees. In one case an employee felt they had to quit their job because of an unresolved problem. Organizations who do not address these issues cannot run efficiently and effectively and may even start to experience high turnover rates. Such imperfections from managers can become costly with recruiting and training of new individuals. The company also can lose valuable knowledge that an employee might have that cannot be replaced. The behaviors of managers should appropriately be in sync with the organization to avoid situations with potential risk associated with imperfect behaviors. Even though the cases in this article proved the attribution theory to be accurate, the sample size is so small in this study that it is hard to make a firm assumption and prove that there are outstanding risks associated with managerial imperfections. The authors agree that there needs to be a larger population and the study should be investigated further.


Works Cited:
Hernes, Helge, and Linn Kristin Brænden. "Employees' Reactions To Imperfect Managerial Behaviors." International Journal Of Business & Social Science 3.8 (2012): 181-189. Business Source Complete. Web. 8 July 2012.

4 comments:

  1. Sara,

    I really enjoyed reading the 2 questions that were addressed because in every company I have worked at I have seen some kind of example of it. Whether it be a manager wondering why their employee is not up to par (and that's saying it nicely) or the employee wondering why their manager is not. I specially think that the parts about managers not reacting approiately is a good key to understanding all of the processes Hernes and Braeden uncovered. Yet, I also think that the employee has to have some understanding of the whole picture so they know some what of where and why the manager is telling or asking them about certain situations or items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run my own business and I have employed several managers to run this franchise business of mine. I must say that after reading your post, I am let's put it...afraid perhaps more than afraid of what may be happening behind my back. Simply put, I want the best for all my employees and I want them to be happy working for me. But if these negative managerial behaviors do take place in my business then, I must put a stop to it and make sure that it never happens again. Of course I am speculating...but your post has prompted me to make my rounds frequently to my other branches and question my employees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    This is a very interesting topic. I think this article highlights a very important factor, that employees and managers uphold the company. If there are issues that are not resolved between managers and employees there can be tremendous consequences. The results of managerial imperfection can lead to lack of productivity, efficiency and even higher turnover rate. The consequences can be very costly for the business and can greatly affect the work environment. Thus, I agree with the author this issue is worth studying more into and a large population study and investigation can be very helpful in understanding the affects of managerial imperfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agrre with Tuan. I also run my own business and it is hard to hire a manager that is loyal to the company. Keeping an open door policy with your employees is a crucial part of my business. I try to be the best owner by keeping my employees happy. This has kept employee turnover to a minimum and reduces the cost of employee training. I really enjoyed this article, Sara.

    ReplyDelete